Making sure your accommodation is suitable when returning home following an injury or accident

  • Supposing that you have been afflicted with some form of serious accident or injury, it’s possible that your current accommodation is no longer able to meet your individual needs.
  • If this is the case, it is likely that alternative accommodation will need to be found or your current living space will need to be adapted to ensure that you can continue to live your life with as much ease as is possible.
  • At Moore Barlow we are able to provide you with the support you and your family may need throughout the whole process, making sure you return to a home that is suits your needs.

Help with your application for disabled facilities grants

Returning home from hospital will always be difficult after an accident or illness, as you may have to adapt your current living situation drastically to accommodate new ways to help you continue to live independently. Typically, this can include the following:

  • Ramps and lifts, helping to provide independent access to and from the property.
  • Converting a bathroom to a wet room.
  • Kitchen adaptations so that you can cook and prepare food.
  • Provide or improve a suitable heating system.
  • Create easy access to the garden.

The necessary renovations and work you may need can be a costly process, however you may be eligible for funding from your local authority that is set aside for this exact purpose.

You may be able to apply to receive a Disability Facilities Grant (DFG), if you happen to own the property you are living in or if you are a tenant. This fund is designed to support the home adaptations that you may need to improve your living conditions after an accident or illness, provided that you will continue to live there for the period of the grant (currently 5 years).

Your local authority’s housing department dictate who and what the DFG is provided for, and on the basis that you and your situation meet all the relevant conditions you can be supported by it. This grant should be able to help you with any changes or adaptations you need to make as your local housing departments are obliged to approve DFG applications up to a maximum of £30,000. In certain circumstances, some housing departments have the discretion to exceed this amount.

The assessment process can be difficult, especially if you are already under a lot of stress due to changes you may have to be making to accommodate the effects of your accident or illness. That’s why we at Moore Barlow can help you, especially when due process can become an uphill battle as a result of disputes that may arise concerning the proposed adaptations (as well as other issues).

Our team of solicitors and legal experts have years of experience and can help your family through this difficult time with sensitivity and professionalism, ensuring the home you return to is fit for your needs.

Supporting you in the process of social housing allocation

Should you need to move as a result of medical or welfare grounds, and if you are a council tenant, your local authority is obliged to ensure that you are given reasonable preference.

When needing to move urgently because of a sudden disability, housing authorities must give you additional preference or priority within their allocation scheme because of the Housing Act.

This is another area where our team of legal experts can help you, as disputes can frequently arise regarding allocation and affording reasonable preference, especially where there is a shortage of social housing and/or adapted housing stock.

At Moore Barlow we are here to support families and individuals during this process, making sure your accommodation is right for you.

With offices in Southampton, London, Lymington, Guildford, Richmond and Woking, we’re ideally placed to offer specialist advice on a local and national level. Contact us for more information.


View our ‘Disabled facilities grants (adults)’ factsheet.