I’m a vastly experienced neuro trauma solicitor who has successfully concluded some of the most complex and high value spinal cord injury claims in the UK in recent years.
Widely regarded as one of the most experienced catastrophic injury solicitors in the UK, I have an incredibly successful track record in achieving fantastic outcomes for the clients I represent. All my cases are brought in the High Court in London and almost all of the settlements I achieve result in seven and eight figure compensation payments for my clients.
There are few solicitors in the country who can match the experience I have acquired over the last 30 years dealing with complex personal injury claims.
My clients come from across the UK and internationally, and I have significant experience of acting in cases where the injury was sustained abroad, or where liability is denied. I have particular experience and expertise of acting in cases where there is both a severe spinal cord and brain injury trauma. I have acted for many years as a professional deputy and understand the interface between the litigation claim process and the court of protection for our clients who lack capacity to conduct their own litigation or manage their financial affairs.
In 2017 I was shortlisted by the Law Society for UK solicitor of the year in recognition of the work I do in supporting people who have sustained catastrophic injuries and the charities who also support them. I’m also an ambassador for CBIT, the national charity which supports children with acquired brain injury and I regularly participate in fundraising events.
I have a dedicated team of lawyers who work alongside me, all of whom have vast experience of succeeding in complex and high-value brain injury and spinal cord injury claims. I visit clients at major trauma centres, hospitals or rehabilitation centres throughout the country. I also see clients at their homes or, if they prefer at an appropriate venue close to their home. I’m also able to see clients at our offices in London, Richmond, Guildford, Woking, Southampton and have access to meeting rooms in most major cities.
Some recent case settlements
- £20m settlement approved by the High Court in London for a young man in his early 20s left severely brain damaged following an RTA.
- £5m settlement approved by the High Court in London for a 67 year old, left tetraplegic and brain damaged following an RTA.
- £17m settlement for young lady in her early 20s rendered tetraplegic and brain damaged following an RTA. The settlement is believed to be the highest award ever secured for a case of this nature. Claim was brought in the High Court, London.
- £13.1m for a young man in his 20s left tetraplegic and brain damaged following an RTA. Claim was brought in the High Court, London.
- £9m for an incomplete paraplegic with a brain injury following a high profile terrorist attack. Claim was brought in the High Court, London.
- £4.75m on appeal for a man in his 50s involved in a motorcycle accident with an untraced driver, left paraplegic and brain damaged. The claim which had previously been rejected on the basis of poor prospects by other solicitors was brought against the Motor Insurers’ Bureau.
- Maximum award achieved on appeal through the Criminal Injuries Compensation of Authority for young lady left paraplegic and brain damaged following a knife attack.
- £10m secured for a young man severely brain damaged while a passenger in his father’s car. Settlement approved by the High Court in London.
- £3.4m secured for a man in his 40s, injured whilst working as a refuse collector. Settlement approved by the High Court in London.
- £8 million secured for a young lady in her 20s, sustaining a brain injury and an incomplete spinal cord injury, whilst she was a passenger in her boyfriend’s car. Claim was brought in the High Court, London.
- £12.5m for a pedestrian left tetraplegic and brain damaged following an RTA. Claim was brought in the High Court, London.
- £13m for a claim arising from non-accidental brain injuries involving a child – claim compromised of a CICA and civil claim awards. Settlement approved by the High Court in London.
Hear from the clients and experts
What the clients say
First class all round.
Excellent support received from Mr Horan.
Ever since we became clients, we have been greatly impressed by their professional expertise and their comprehensive grasp of the overall legal situation. Moreover, not only did they have all the legal skills we would have hoped for, winning the case for us handsomely, but they also took considerable care to keep us fully informed. At every stage, they explained matters sympathetically. They were unfailingly efficient and courteous at all times; we could not have been better served.
We are both very grateful for the work you have done and getting us the best possible result. We can see now that the road ahead will be much brighter and life will be that much easier and less full of worry. Thank you.
Thank you so very much for all that you have done for me. From the beginning, you took great care to take the stress out of what would otherwise have been an unbelievably traumatic time for us. You were always so considerate and thoughtful.
What the experts say
Damian has a very clear understanding of the litigation process and, in particular, very good judgement. He demonstrates meticulous attention to detail and shows genuine compassion for the welfare of his clients.Chambers and Partners UK, 2022
Damian Horan, who leads the personal injury team, has an outstanding track record in catastrophic injury cases; he is a go-to for individuals that have sustained severe brain and spinal cord injuries.The Legal 500, 2022
Damian Horan is praised for his “first-class customer service,” explaining that he is “completely invested in and flexible to the client’s needs.Chambers and Partners UK, 2020
Damian Horan is commended by sources as “an acknowledged specialist in the spinal cord injury field and someone who clearly cares enormously about those he represents.” Further commentators extol “his ability to empathise with clients and his practical knowledge of the way the law works.Chambers and Partners UK, 2019
Damian is the head of personal injury. He is regarded as one of the UK’s leading catastrophic personal injury lawyers, with particular interest in severe brain injury and spinal cord injury.The Legal 500, 2022
I’m a member of the following organisations:
- Spinal Injuries Association (SIA)
- Law Society
- Middle Temple
- Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (APIL)