Intellectual property and copyright
Protecting your intellectual property and copyright
- Intellectual property (IP) is, for most businesses, a significant asset.
- We advise on copyright, trade marks, designs, patents, format and database rights, know-how and passing off.
- Protecting, enforcing and exploiting your IP can be essential for the success of your business.
The development protection, exploitation and enforcement of IP are of paramount importance to many businesses. It is also a complex area of law that requires in-depth knowledge of all relevant rules and regulations.
What is intellectual property law?
Intellectual property law is a legal framework that protects the rights of creators and owners of original works, such as inventions, literary and artistic works, and symbols or designs. It includes patents, trademarks, copyrights, and trade secrets.
What is copyright law?
Copyright law is a legal framework that grants exclusive rights to creators of original works, such as literary, artistic, musical, and other intellectual works. It protects the creators’ rights to control the use, distribution, and reproduction of their works, and provides legal remedies for infringement.
With extensive experience of IP and copyright law, we can help you with the following:
- IP strategy – Help with understanding what IP your business owns and, more importantly, what IP your business should protect and the best way to do this cost-effectively.
- Copyright – A detailed understanding of copyright law and related commercial issues puts us in a strong position to advise you on areas such as software licensing.
- Trademarks and designs – We can help you protect your brands and/or designs and manage the registration of trademarks and designs for your business.
- Patents and know-how – For businesses with new inventions and processes, we can advise suitable licensing arrangements.
- Research & development collaborations – if you are involved in R&D collaboration, ensuring that the correct position is adopted regarding IP ownership and exploitation is of vital importance. We can advise parties in relation to various forms of R&D collaborations, including academic and private sector collaborations.
- We advise on other IP related agreements including IP assignment and licensing, distribution, sponsorship, merchandising, format rights licensing, publishing and franchising agreements.
- Links with foreign lawyers and agents means that we can secure protection for your IP rights nationally and internationally.
- Together with our dispute resolution team, we can also advise on what to do when someone else is using your IP without your permission.
- We always consider your primary commercial objectives and take a strategic, rather than an academic, approach.
Meet our team of commercial solicitors
First-class legal advice combined with exceptional business knowledge
We have established many strong relationships with accountants, trade mark and patent agents, banks and investors, and this helps us to give you not only first-class legal advice but also strong business advice. We are the UK member firm of the IT IP Law Group Europe, a specialist network of technology lawyers that provides pan-European coverage of commercial and technology law issues.
We have also developed particular expertise in relation to technology transfers and IP acquisition, disposal and licensing.
How Moore Barlow can help
We work with an extensive range of clients from early-stage businesses to multinational organisations from the UK and abroad. Our experienced team are based across our offices in London, Richmond, Southampton, Guildford, Lymington and Woking. Contact us for expert advice.
Contact our commercial and technology team
Explore our commercial & technology legal insights
Our team accreditations
Moore Barlow offers clients the full range of IP advice. The team has particular expertise in managing and expanding trade mark portfolios, advising on IP licences and issues surrounding trade secrets and NDAs. The firm is also adept at advising on IP due diligence related to M&A transactions
Chambers & Partners
Moore Barlow are the preferred suppliers of legal support to our cluster of incubating start-ups. They offer a unique, pain free, can-do solution based service with the client at the heart of the activity. Whenever we have asked, whatever we have asked, Moore Barlow have responded positively, effectively and efficiently delivering what needs to be done when it needs doing. A great team of professionals who are people focused
We have been extremely impressed with their approach to summarising and walking through legal documents, and the ability to take complex legal issues and distil them down into easily understandable scenarios for clients to consider.
Moore Barlow LLP constructed an excellent strategy with regards to licensing the technology and all necessary legal framework documentation.
Moore Barlow is a practice that focuses on providing a full service to their clients, led by partners that understand the need for legal practice to reflect and take into account the commercial drivers behind transactions. We have worked with Moore Barlow over multiple years because of their depth of knowledge, attention to detail, excellent project management and congeniality in front of clients.