Care Act assessments (social services)

Explore how we can help you and your family with any community care legal requirements.

Contact our team

Practical legal support with social care services

  • If you need care or support, you have a right to a free needs assessment from your local authority.
  • The Care Act 2014 gives you the right to have a say about your care needs, a right to a review when you feel it is necessary, or to challenge decisions made about your care.
  • We can provide you with advice and support when undergoing an assessment, giving you the best chance of receiving care and support tailored to your needs.

Your local authority has a duty to help you with your ‘eligible needs’. As of 1 April 2015, if you have a need for care and support you are eligible for a free needs assessment from your local authority.

This assessment is how your local authority decides whether you can get support from them. It is also your opportunity to discuss with a professional what support might be best for you. The assessment looks at how you are managing everyday activities such as household tasks and getting out and about.

Rebecca Sparrow

Rebecca Sparrow

Partner | Community care, Court of protection

023 8071 8878

How Moore Barlow can help

Having a professional supporting you during the assessment process is important in making sure you achieve the best possible outcome for your circumstances.

We have considerable experience in helping individuals receive the right care for them and will work hard on your behalf to support you through the assessment process. We will ensure you and your needs are at the heart of the assessment process, supporting and encouraging you in what you want to achieve.

If you have a disability as a result of medical negligence or personal injury our specialist teams may be able to assist you in investigating and taking forward a compensation claim.

Helping determine your eligibility for social care

As of 1 April 2015, the rules about who qualify for care and support have changed.

You qualify if you answer ‘yes’ to all three of these questions:

  • Is your need for support because of a physical or mental impairment, or an illness?
  • Are you unable to achieve two or more of the care outcomes? (i.e. wash yourself and clean your clothes, dress yourself, move around your home safely, prepare and eat food without help)
  • Could this have a significant impact on your wellbeing?

In addition to showing you have difficulties, to qualify for support you must be able to show that these difficulties impact your daily life and wellbeing. We can support you in this, making sure that all information relevant to your assessment is provided, and is properly considered by those carrying out the assessment.

We are here to help

The Impact of the Coronavirus Act 2020 on NHS Continuing Healthcare

Discover how our expert community care lawyers can help you.

Providing actionable support and advice on paying for your social care

Unlike the NHS, social care and support is not a free service, meaning you will likely have to pay something towards the cost of your care. To determine how much, you will need to undergo a financial assessment.

We understand the financial worries that can come with having care and support needs. We have an excellent understanding of the financial assessment rules, meaning we can help support you through the complexities of the financial assessment process.

With our expert team based across our offices in Southampton, London, Guildford, Richmond, Lymington and Woking, we’re ideally placed to offer specialist support and advice on a local and national level.

We are here to help

The Impact of the Coronavirus Act 2020 on NHS Continuing Healthcare

Discover how our expert community care lawyers can help you.

Contact our community care team