Making sure your accommodation is suitable when returning home following an injury or accident

  • If you have suffered from a serious accident or injury, your accommodation may no longer meet your individual needs.
  • If this is the case, it is likely that alternative accommodation or adaptations will be required for you to carry on living your everyday life.
  • We can support you and your family throughout the whole process, making sure you return to a home that is fit for your needs.

Help with your application for disabled facilities grants

Returning home from hospital after an accident or illness will always be difficult. Your house may require a range of adaptations in order for you to continue to live there independently. Typically, this can include the following:

  • Access to and from a property including ramps and lifts.
  • Getting a bathroom changed to a wet room.
  • Kitchen adaptations so that you can cook and prepare food.
  • Improving or providing a suitable heating system.
  • Easier access to the garden.

Completing all this work can be an expensive process, but there is a source of funding available from your local authority.

If you own the property you are living in or if you are a tenant, then you are eligible to receive a Disability Facilities Grant (DFG) which is designed to fund the home adaptations that you may need, provided that you intend to continue living there for the period of the grant (currently 5 years).

The DFG is provided and administered by your local authority’s housing department. If all relevant conditions are met, housing departments are obliged to approve DFG applications up to a maximum of £30,000.  In certain circumstances, some housing departments have the discretion to exceed this amount.

The assessment process can be tricky, and disputes frequently arise concerning the adaptations proposed. For this reason, many find the assessment process an uphill struggle.

We are experienced in helping families through what can be a daunting process, ensuring the home they return to is fit for their needs.

Supporting you in the process of social housing allocation

If you are a council tenant, your local authority is obliged to ensure that you are given reasonable preference should you need to move on medical or welfare grounds.

If you need to move urgently because of a sudden disability, the Housing Act specifically requires housing authorities to give you additional preference or priority within their allocation scheme.

This is another area where disputes can frequently arise regarding allocation and affording reasonable preference, especially where there is a shortage of social housing and/or adapted housing stock.

We are here to support families and individuals during this process, making sure your accommodation is right for you.

With offices in Southampton, London, Lymington, Guildford, Richmond and Woking, we’re ideally placed to offer specialist advice on a local and national level. Contact us for more information.


View our ‘Disabled facilities grants (adults)’ factsheet.

Contact our solicitors

Get in touch with our legal experts for advice.