Neurological treatment claims
Explore how we can help you and your family with any medical negligence legal issues.Contact our team
Neurological disorders and medical negligence
- Medical negligence claims related to neurological disorders can be due to both acts or omissions.
- When something goes wrong, the effects can be debilitating, with individuals often requiring support for the rest of their lives.
- We can help you secure the compensation you deserve, and help you receive the support you need.
What is a neurological disorder?
A neurological disorder is any damage or disease to the nervous system. Abnormalities of the brain, nerves or spinal cord can often result in a number of symptoms including muscle weakness, paralysis, seizures, loss of sensation and varied levels of consciousness.
There are several widely-recognised neurological disorders, some of which are common but some that are extremely rare. They are often assessed, studied and treated with a neurological examination within the specialities of clinical neuropsychology and neurology.
Categorising neurological disorders
A neurological disorder can be categorised based on the main location affected, the form of dysfunction involved or the primary cause. The Merck manual lists brain, spinal cord and nerve disorders are often categorised as follows:
- Brain damage according to cerebral lobe
- Brain dysfunction according to type:
- Aphasia (language)
- Dysgraphia (writing)
- Dysarthria (speech)
- Apraxia (patterns or sequences of movements)
- Agnosia (identifying things or people)
- Amnesia (memory)
- Spinal cord disorders
- Peripheral neuropathy and other peripheral nervous system disorders
- Cranial nerve disorder such as Trigeminal neuralgia
- Autonomic nervous system disorders
- Movement disorders of the central and peripheral nervous system
- Seizure disorders
- Sleep disorders
- Lower back and neck pain
- Migraines and other types of headache
- Central neuropathy (see Neuropathic pain)
- Neuropsychiatric illnesses e.g. Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, Autism, Tourette’s syndrome
Our team of medical negligence solicitors
It follows that the spectrum of medical negligence claims arising out of neurological injuries is wide ranging. It can range from both acts and omissions. The effects of medical negligence in this area can be severely debilitating.
Neurological and spinal injuries can have extremely serious effects on your life and can occur as a result of the negligence of your healthcare professional.
Medical care for neurological and spinal problems can vary depending on the severity and specific problem from which you suffer. In some cases, 24 hour care can be needed.
It is vital that you maximise your recovery through active rehabilitation. Our aim is to help rebuild your life by obtaining interim payments of compensation wherever possible to assist you with:
- Aids and equipment
- Care support
- Therapeutic services
- Case management.
Many people who suffer from neurological or spinal disorders require some support for the rest of their lives. We have a wide range of contacts with organisations that can support you and can work closely with you. These include:
- Case managers who will assess and organise any support and care you may need;
- Support workers who will visit you on a regular basis to provide you support and help;
- Community rehabilitation such as occupational therapy.
How Moore Barlow can help
We may be able to help you with a claim for compensation where you have a neurological or spinal disorder which has been caused or worsened as a result of the negligence of your healthcare professional.
You or your family should contact a solicitor as soon as possible. The sooner we can commence work on your claim the sooner we can begin to assist you. We can advise you on your benefit rights and also advise on dealing with debts which might arise due to being off work. Our specialist community care team can also provide advice on your entitlement to health and social care support at home during the continuance of your claim.
If you believe that you or someone you know has suffered as a result of medical negligence please contact Anne Cassidy.
Our specialist team work across our offices in London, Southampton, Lymington, Guildford, Richmond and Woking, We deal with clients throughout the country and we will visit you at your home, hospital or rehabilitation unit.
Contact our medical negligence team
Our medical negligence insights
Our team accreditations and charity support
Don’t take our word for it…
Moore Barlow have the willingness to take on difficult cases and pursue them with great skill, in particular, by the allocation of the best-suited lawyers to the challenging claims.
They were very sympathetic to my situation, always considerate, extremely thorough and determined to help me to reach a satisfactory resolution, which they did in spite of very strong opposition from the defendants. They involved me fully throughout the process and kept me very well informed at every stage.
Chambers and Partners
Our initial conversation with the firm was handled with the utmost care and respect. Throughout the process the team were very supportive and communicative, taking extra care to better explain processes and paperwork.
Moore Barlow’s excellent clinical negligence team is skilled in handling the most complex catastrophic personal injury and medical negligence matters.