When you have a grievance at work, we can help you take the correct steps to see that it’s resolved

  • There are many issues that could concern you at work, from health and safety to harassment, problems with colleagues or new working practices.
  • Whatever the issue, the first step is to discuss it with your manager. If you’re not confident about this, we can give you legal advice first.
  • If the issue isn’t resolved, we can help you make a formal grievance complaint, and ensure the process follows ACAS procedures.

What is a grievance at work?

A grievance at work is a complaint that an employee has about their working conditions, treatment by their employer or colleagues, or other aspects of their employment. This could be raised informally or through a formal grievance procedure.

Do you have a concern at work?

As an employee, there are many issues which could concern you at work. Typical examples include:

  • Working conditions;
  • Relationships with colleagues;
  • Terms and conditions of your employment;
  • Health and safety;
  • Bullying;
  • Harassment;
  • New working practices; and
  • Organisational changes.

Raising a concern can seem a daunting process. You need clear advice that focuses on the practical steps you can take, to ensure you follow the process of raising a concern with your employer correctly.

What should you do?

We are on hand to give you the advice you need to successfully raise a concern.

The first step is to speak to your manager; this should be done promptly, so your employer is given the best chance to resolve the concern.

If you have a concern or an issue at work, you should feel you are able to go to your manager and informally discuss this. However, not everyone feels confident that this would resolve the situation or that their manager would want to listen. If this is the case, you may wish to seek legal advice from our friendly team before you speak to your manager, so you can be sure you understand your position and your rights.

If you’re not satisfied the situation has been resolved informally, then you can choose to make a formal grievance complaint in writing. Your manager may then arrange an investigation and a formal meeting, which we can help you prepare for. We’ll also be ready to discuss the meeting after it has taken place and advise you about the outcome.

You and your employer should both follow the ACAS code of practice on disciplinary and grievance procedures, because if your claim goes to an employment tribunal any compensation you might receive could be adjusted by up to 25%.

How Moore Barlow can help

Don’t be put off by the prospect of raising a grievance about a work issue. If it’s affecting you, it needs to be resolved, and we’ll be here to help you with our expert support.

We have offices in London, Richmond, Southampton, Lymington, Woking and Guildford, and we offer specialist advice to our clients nationwide.