Making sure you take the correct, effective action to resolve a dispute about your pay or benefits.

  • If you are concerned about whether you’re being paid correctly or think you are owed a bonus payment your best course of action is to take expert legal advice.
  • You have legal rights concerning your pay and bonus payments which are governed by your employment terms.
  • We will explain how the law applies to your specific concern, advise you on the right process for resolving your dispute and give you the support you need so you can confidently face your employer.

Are you concerned that you’ve not been paid correctly? Would you like advice about whether you are entitled to receive a bonus?

You might believe that you have not been paid in line with your contract of employment, are not being paid the minimum wage, are not receiving overtime pay, have not been paid a bonus or think there’s been an unlawful deduction from your wages. Whatever the issue, your next move should be to seek expert legal advice.

What is a pay dispute?

A pay dispute arises when an employee feels that their salary or other remuneration is not fair or appropriate. This could be due to a perceived difference in pay compared to colleagues, or an issue with the way bonuses or other forms of pay are awarded.

All employees are entitled to an individual written pay statement. The statement must show gross pay and take-home pay, with amounts and reasons for all deductions. If there is a dispute about the amount you take home or a deduction, then you can start formal internal procedures or, if the problem persists, refer the case to an employment tribunal.

If your employment has come to an end, there is a time limit to bring the claim, so it’s important to seek legal advice right at the start of the dispute. If you are not being paid, we are on hand to give you advice on your rights, who you should contact to investigate the issue and what your options are.

What is a bonus dispute?

A bonus dispute occurs when an employee feels that they have not received a fair or appropriate bonus. This could be due to a disagreement about the way bonuses are calculated, the terms of a bonus scheme, or an issue with the amount of a bonus payment.

Bonus payments are not always as straightforward as they seem. They are governed by your contract terms rather than statutory rights, so it’s important you fully understand the terms of any bonus scheme you may be a part of.

We can help you identify your bonus terms and explain the process you should take. It’s still possible to make a claim for a bonus payment even after your employment has been terminated. However, we would need to investigate the specific wording and drafting of the contract and the reason for termination, as they will be relevant.

How Moore Barlow can help

Whatever your pay-related dispute, we can help by giving you legal advice before you approach your employer, so you can feel confident that you’re clear about your legal rights. Our specialist employment law team will talk to you about your specific circumstances, and give advice over the phone or face to face. We’ll tell you how strong your position is and the best way to resolve your dispute. Crucially, we’ll make sure you fully understand all your options, so you can make an informed decision about pursuing a claim.

We have offices in London, Southampton, Richmond, Woking, Guildford and Lymington and offer specialist support and advice to clients nationwide.