Surgical errors compensation claims
Explore how we can help you and your family with any medical negligence legal issues.Contact our team
Surgical negligence compensation claims
- All surgery carries some degree of risk and the risks associate with any particular planned procedure should be discussed with patients before surgery is undertaken.
- Whilst some complications of surgery may not be due to negligence, sometimes complications arises which could be avoided with appropriate management and or surgical technique.
Risk-free surgery does not exist. As a patient, you are entitled to expect the very highest standards of medical treatment and care throughout all stages of your surgery. Despite this, even in the care of the most highly trained surgeons, you can suffer as a result of mistakes made, poor operator technique and surgical errors with devastating consequences.
What is a surgical error?
A surgical error refers to mistakes made by medical professionals during surgical procedures. These errors can include wrong-site surgery, leaving surgical instruments inside the patient, damaging nerves or organs, and administering incorrect doses of anesthesia or medication. Such errors can result in serious harm or even death to the patient.
What is a surgical error compensation claim?
A surgical error compensation claim is legal action taken by a patient who has suffered harm or injury due to a mistake made during a surgical procedure. The claim seeks financial compensation for the damages caused by the error, including medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
What are the common examples of surgical errors?
Examples of surgical errors include:
- Unnecessary surgery due to misdiagnosis or misinterpretation of hospital notes or radiology
- Leaving surgical instruments inside a patient after a procedure
- Damage to nearby tissues or organs during a procedure
- Failure to repair damage caused during a procedure at the time of the operation or during recovery
- Accidentally severing vital blood vessels or nerves
- Carrying out the wrong procedure
- Conducting surgery at the wrong location
- Inappropriately removing healthy organs or tissues
- Failure to fully explain all of the dangers and risks of a procedure beforehand, referred to as a lack of informed consent
- Poor post operative care including haemorrhage and deep vein thrombosis/peritonitis
Mistakes can also occur after the operation has taken place, such as failure to identify infection, a perforation, bleeding, organ malfunction or even an obstruction.
Medical care for errors in surgery can range from a need to be monitored to requiring further surgery and extensive rehabilitation. The range of errors is vast with every case being different depending on the facts.
How Moore Barlow can help
It is vital that you maximise your recovery through active rehabilitation. Our aim is also to help you to rebuild your life and we can do this by obtaining interim payments of compensation wherever possible. These can help you with your:
- Aids and equipment
- Care support
- Therapeutic services
- Case management
Some people who suffer from errors made during surgery will require support for the rest of their lives. We have a wide range of contacts with organisations who can support you and work closely with you. These include:
- Case managers who will assess and organise any support and care you may need;
- Support workers who will visit you on a regular basis to provide you support and help;
- Community rehabilitation such as occupational therapy;
- Charities and support groups.
Our team of medical negligence solicitors
If you think you may have suffered medical negligence due to a surgical error, you or your family should contact a solicitor as soon as possible. The sooner we can commence work on your claim the sooner we can begin to assist you.
Whilst we deal with your claim, our specialist community care team can also provide advice on your entitlement to health and social care support at home whilst your claim is being progressed.
We have offices in Southampton, Richmond, London, Woking, Lymington and Guildford and operate nationally. We deal with clients throughout the country and we will visit you at your home, hospital or rehabilitation unit.
Contact our medical negligence team
Explore our recent cases
Our team accreditations and charity support
Don’t take our word for it…
Moore Barlow have the willingness to take on difficult cases and pursue them with great skill, in particular, by the allocation of the best-suited lawyers to the challenging claims.
They were very sympathetic to my situation, always considerate, extremely thorough and determined to help me to reach a satisfactory resolution, which they did in spite of very strong opposition from the defendants. They involved me fully throughout the process and kept me very well informed at every stage.
Chambers and Partners
Our initial conversation with the firm was handled with the utmost care and respect. Throughout the process the team were very supportive and communicative, taking extra care to better explain processes and paperwork.
Moore Barlow’s excellent clinical negligence team is skilled in handling the most complex catastrophic personal injury and medical negligence matters.