International child relocation & abduction solicitors

Explore how we can help you and your family with all your legal requirements.

Contact our team

At Moore Barlow, we understand that family law issues can be complex and emotionally challenging, especially when they involve children across borders.

Our international child and family solicitors provide expert legal advice and representation for families facing complex cross-border issues, including international child abduction, international child relocation, and international divorce.

Who your children will live with, and where, is one of the most critical decisions that will be made in a situation where the separating parents may live in different countries or spend time in more than one country. This is commonly referred to as an international divorce. If you and your ex-partner cannot agree the arrangements between you, you will need expert legal support to secure the outcome you want.

When a family relationship breaks down, one of the most sensitive issues is the children’s welfare and how much time they will spend with each parent.

If you are living abroad, you may want to bring your children back to their country of origin, whether that’s to England or to another jurisdiction. This is where an international divorce can be particularly emotionally charged, as deciding where you are going to live and how much time your children will have with you (historically referred to as access or contact) is even more complex.

It may mean you and your children have to travel from one country to another, just to see each other. International relocation of children can be complex, as legislation in the other country may differ from the laws of England and Wales on the matter. To help achieve the best outcome for you and your children, you will need the assistance of an experienced international child relocation solicitor.

Joanna Farrands

Joanna Farrands

Partner | Family

01483 543223

How Moore Barlow can help

Here at Moore Barlow, we can provide you with expert advice and support tailored to your family situation. We understand that international cases involving children and where they will live (previously termed custody or residence) can be complex, which is where our specialist team of international family law solicitors can help. With years of experience with extensive knowledge of cases involving countries across the world, we will approach your case with the sensitivity and professionalism it requires.

Our service offering is wide, covering international child arrangements, international child relocation, child abduction and enforcement of foreign financial orders on behalf of children. We understand that these types of international cases involving children need to be handled differently, due to the sensitive issues, which is why we at Moore Barlow can offer a client experience catered to the needs of you and your family.

How does international relocation work?

International relocation of children can be complicated, but separated couples can usually come to an arrangement that works for the family, when they have the legal support needed to ensure that everyone’s interests are taken into account.

In whichever country you want to move to with your children, you will need either your ex-partner’s agreement or legal authority. This may have to be decided by a court in the country where the children are habitually resident. In assessing in which country, the case may be heard a court will consider where your children have lived, have their social ties and where they have been educated for most of the time.

Your children’s views will also be taken into account and the older they are, the greater their influence in these decisions. For expert international child relocation advice, the team at Moore Barlow can help you at every stage of the process.

We are here to help

Start an online enquiry by completing our short questionnaire.

What is international child abduction?

International child abduction refers to the removal or retention of a child across international borders in breach of the rights of the other parent or the person with parental responsibility. This can cause significant emotional and legal difficulties for all involved, and international treaties and agreements may be used to return the child to their country of habitual residence.

What is international child relocation?

International child relocation refers to the movement of a child from one country to another, typically involving a parent who is relocating to a different country for work or personal reasons. The process of international child relocation often involves legal and logistical challenges, as it can be complex to navigate different countries’ laws and regulations regarding child custody and support.

Why choose our international child abduction and relocation solicitors?

Choosing Moore Barlow’s international child abduction and relocation solicitors ensures that your case will be handled with the utmost care and expertise. With years of experience in international family law, our team is dedicated to achieving the best possible outcome for you and your child. We understand the complexities of these cases and will work tirelessly to protect your rights and interests. Trust us to provide you with compassionate and effective legal representation.

How can our international child abduction and relocation solicitors help?

Our international child abduction and relocation solicitors can provide expert legal advice and representation to parents facing complex cross-border family law issues. We understand the emotional and practical challenges involved in these cases and will work to protect your child’s best interests. Our team has extensive experience in international child abduction cases, including securing the return of children to their country of habitual residence and preventing wrongful removals. We can also assist with relocation applications, ensuring that the necessary legal requirements are met and negotiating arrangements that work for all parties involved.

With offices in LondonRichmondSouthamptonGuildfordLymington and Woking, we offer specialist support to clients nationally and internationally. Contact us for more information on how we can help.

If you require legal advice or help concerning the law regarding international relocation of children, or any other queries related to international family law, contact the Moore Barlow team today.

We are here to help

Start an online enquiry by completing our short questionnaire.

Contact our family team

Frequently asked questions

What rights do I have as a parent if my child is taken abroad without my permission?

If your child is taken abroad without your permission, you have the right to take legal action in order to have your child returned to you. The specific rights you have will depend on the laws of the country you are in and any applicable international agreements or treaties.

An international child custody lawyer can help you navigate the legal process of international child abduction or wrongful relocation. They can assist in filing the necessary legal actions, gathering evidence, coordinating with authorities in both countries, and working towards the return of your child to their home country.

If the other parent takes your child out of the country without your consent and refuses to return them, you should immediately contact your local law enforcement agency and report the incident. They can guide you on legal steps, such as obtaining a court order for the return of your child or filing a complaint with the appropriate authority.

The process for obtaining international child custody when relocating to another country typically involves negotiating and obtaining consent from the other parent, filing a petition with the appropriate court, providing evidence supporting the relocation, attending court hearings, and obtaining legal recognition and enforcement of the custody order in the new country.

Our team accreditations