- Very occasionally, mistakes can occur when having an anaesthetic.
- If you have suffered complications due to an anaesthetic error, you may be able to claim compensation.
Many people are nervous of undergoing anaesthesia. Most people experience no problems at all. Sadly, there are instances where mistakes are made which result in complications and injury. Anaesthetic errors and mistakes by anaesthetists can be devastating, causing pain and disability.
Complications which can occur and lead to potential clinical negligence claims are varied but examples include:
- Anaesthetic awareness, where the patient wakes up during the operation.
- Anaesthetic dosage error, this can happen when an anaesthetic product is improperly labelled or there is a simple dosage error when the patient is given too much or too little anaesthetic.
- Nerve & spinal cord injuries, resulting from the incorrect administration of the anaesthetic resulting in spinal injury or nerve damage.
- Anaesthetic allergies, anaesthetics can cause rashes, vomiting and breathing problems.
- Brain damage, in extreme cases a failure to correctly manage a patient’s anaesthesia can result in brain damage due to a lack of oxygen.
- Cardiovascular injury, can be caused by a failure to monitor leading to a heart attack or stroke.
- Tracheal damage or injury to surrounding areas can be caused by intubation errors.
- Failure to recognise complications.
If you believe that you have sustained an injury as a result of clinical negligence and may have a compensation claim you or your family should contact a solicitor as soon as possible. The sooner we can begin work investigating your claim the sooner we can begin to help you.
Whilst dealing with your claim, our specialist community care team can also advise on your entitlement to health and social care support at home whilst pursuing your claim.
If you believe that you or someone you know has suffered as a result of clinical negligence please contact Anne Cassidy.
We have offices in Southampton, Richmond, London, Lymington, Woking and Guildford. We deal with clients throughout the country and we will visit you at your home, hospital or rehabilitation unit.