Gynaecological injury claims

  • Very occasionally, medical negligence can occur due to negligent treatment, failed treatment or missed or late diagnosis related to gynaecological problems.
  • If you think you have suffered due to medical negligence, you should contact a solicitor as soon as possible.

A gynaecologist deals exclusively with womens’ medical problems, diagnosing and treating conditions relating to the female reproductive system. These treatments can have devastating consequences if they are not undertaken with the appropriate degree of skill and care.

Gynaecological medical negligence

Most gynaecological diagnosis and treatment is performed to a high standard, and most patients feel happy with the outcome and level of care provided. Medical negligence claims can however arise in many areas and are commonly seen where there has been, for example: a missed or late diagnosis of abnormal smears which can result in cancer; failure to perform a hysterectomy correctly leading to injury to the bladder or bowels; perforation of the uterus due to negligent insertion of inter-uterine contraceptive devices; inadequate or improper treatment of endometriosis; failure of contraception or female sterilisation or failed abortion and subsequent birth and maternal injury during childbirth.

The most typical gynaecological claims stem from complications due to surgery, including:

  • Total abdominal hysterectomy
  • Pelvic floor repairs
  • Dilatation and Curettage

The injuries may include:

  • Incontinence after surgery
  • Puncture of the uterus during placement of the contraceptive coil
  • Failure to effectively sterilise
  • Damage during surgery or investigations
  • Damage to uterus, bladder or bowel during hysterectomy
  • Unnecessary hysterectomy after a caesarean section
  • Flawed consent to medical procedures
  • Loss of childbearing potential due to infection

How Moore Barlow can help

If you think you have suffered due to medical negligence, you or your family should contact a solicitor as soon as possible. The sooner we can begin work on your claim the sooner we can begin to help you. We can advise you on your benefit rights and also advise on dealing with debts which might arise due to being off work. Our specialist community care team can also provide advice on your entitlement to health and social care support at home whilst your claim is being progressed.

If you believe that you or someone you know has suffered as a result of medical negligence please contact Anne Cassidy.

Our specialist team are based across our offices in Southampton, London, Richmond, Woking, Lymington and Guildford. We deal with clients throughout the country and we will visit you at your home, hospital or rehabilitation unit.

Explore our recent cases