Compensation claims for negligent cardiology treatment
- There are a growing number of instances of medical negligence related to cardiology.
- When mistakes do occur, the consequences can be severe.
- We regularly see clients affected by negligent treatment, and successfully help them secure the compensation they deserve and require.
What is cardiology?
Cardiology is the branch of medicine concerned with disorders of the heart. The field includes medical diagnosis and treatment of congenital heart defects, coronary artery disease, heart failure, valvular heart disease and electrophysiology.
Physicians who specialise in this field of medicine are called cardiologists. Physicians who specialise in cardiac surgery are called cardiothoracic surgeons or cardiac surgeons, a speciality of general surgery.
Over recent years, the complex area of cardiology has seen an increasing number of compensation claims.
Occasionally, medical errors can occur during procedures, resulting in permanent and serious health problems. In addition, there can frequently be a failure to diagnose someone with a serious heart condition, meaning the condition is not treated appropriately, if treated at all. The results can be devastating leading to heart attacks, severe and disabling heart damage or even death. Timely diagnosis and treatment is therefore paramount.
We regularly see clients affected by negligent treatment in a wide range of areas, including circumstances where there has been a failure:
- To conduct all appropriate diagnostic tests when a patient presents with chest pain
- To diagnose angina on presentation
- To warn a patient of the dangers of cardiac catheterisation
- To diagnose a heart murmur
- To diagnose a heart problem following an ECG (electrical tracing of the heart)
- Surgical errors
Helping rebuild your life
It is vital that you maximise your recovery through active rehabilitation. Our aim is also to help rebuild your life and we can do this by obtaining interim payments of compensation wherever possible to assist you with your:
- Aids and equipment
- Care support
- Therapeutic services
- Case management
Injuries can be very serious and if surgical errors have occurred or you have had a misdiagnosis, this can result in complications requiring long term care. Some people who suffer as a result of medical negligence will require some support for the rest of their lives. We have a wide range of contacts with organisations who can assist you and can work closely with you. These include:
- Case managers who will assess and organise any support and care you may need;
- Support workers who will visit you on a regular basis to provide you support and help;
- Community rehabilitation such as occupational therapy.
If you think you may have received negligent treatment, you or your family should contact a solicitor as soon as possible. The sooner we can begin work on your claim the sooner we can begin to assist you.
Whilst dealing with your claim our specialist community care team can also advise on your entitlement to health and social care support at home whilst pursuing your claim.
If you believe that you or someone you know has suffered as a result of medical negligence please contact Anne Cassidy.
We have offices in London, Guildford, Richmond, Southampton, Woking and Lymington. We deal with clients throughout the country and we will visit you at your home, hospital or rehabilitation unit.