Supporting your Rights to Rent property in the UK, under the UK’s Right to Rent laws

  • If you are renting property in the UK, your landlord has a legal duty to check your immigration status.
  • You must have the right documents to prove you are allowed to live here, temporarily or indefinitely.
  • We will explain exactly what you need to provide and can make sure you are not facing discrimination.

If you are moving to the UK and need to live in privately rented property (perhaps while you are looking for a home to buy), your landlord is required by law to check whether you have the Right to Rent in the UK.

You have the Right to Rent if:

  • there is no time limit on your permission to live in the UK (you have indefinite leave to remain) or
  • you have a time-limited visa, which means you can rent within that time-limited period.

Your landlord will need to check your documents to ensure they prove your immigration status. They should take copies and return the original documents to you. They are allowed to charge you for making these Right to Rent checks.

Nationals from the European Economic Area (EEA)

If you are a national from the European Economic Area (EEA) your passport, ID card or Residence Permit will be sufficient proof.

Foreign nationals with Indefinite Leave to Remain

If you are a foreign national and you have Indefinite Leave to Remain, acceptable documents are:

  • A biometric residence permit with unlimited leave to remain.
  • A passport or travel document endorsed with unlimited leave to remain.
  • A UK immigration status document endorsed with unlimited leave to remain.
  • A certificate of naturalisation or registration as a British citizen.

Foreign nationals with a time-limited Right to Rent

If you are a foreign national with a time-limited Right to Rent, acceptable documents are:

  • A valid passport endorsed with a time-limited period.
  • A biometric immigration document with permission to stay for a time-limited period.
  • A non-EEA residence card.
  • A UK immigration status document with a time-limited endorsement from the Home Office.

How can Moore Barlow help?

These checks apply to you and anyone who has come to the UK with you, such as your spouse or partner, and children (but not if they are over 18).

There are some situations where this can become complicated, for example if the Home Office has your original documents because of an ongoing appeal, so it’s best to have specialist legal advice.

Our immigration lawyers are highly experienced, so if you have an issue with your immigration status and Right to Rent, they will almost certainly have encountered the problem before. This means they can give you accurate and constructive help about your Right to Rent.

If you are confident you have the Right to Rent, but a landlord turns you away even though they have property available, this may be a case of discrimination. Landlords are not allowed to discriminate on the basis of race, such as your nationality, national or ethnic origin or skin colour. Do ask our advice if you think you are being discriminated against.

If you’re coming to the UK and will be renting out property to other people, you will have to meet your obligations as a landlord under the Right to Rent laws. We will advise you how to do this; for more information, see our page about Landlords and the Right to Rent.

Like many aspects of UK immigration law, the rules concerning Right to Rent can seem complicated and difficult to understand. We’re here to help you, with clear and straightforward advice that will tell you exactly what should happen and what you need to do.

We have offices in Southampton, Richmond, Lymington, Woking, Guildford and London and we offer specialist support and advice to clients nationally and internationally. Contact us for more information on how we can help.

Contact our solicitors

Get in touch with our legal experts for advice.