Expert legal help with obtaining the visa you need to study in the UK

There is a range of visas available for adult students and children to study in the UK.

  • It’s important to choose the right visa and be able to comply with the rules that apply to them.
  • Our immigration team will explain what is required and guide you through the process.
  • We can also help with visas applications for parents, family and dependents and extensions for students continuing their studies.

The UK is a popular and diverse destination for international students. Coming here to study will give you access to world-class teaching. It will also help you develop the right skills to rise to the top of the global workforce, as UK education is recognised and respected by employers, universities and governments worldwide.

The different types of visas for students coming to the UK are covered by Tier 4 of the UK’s points-based system.

Tier 4 Student visa

Adults and children can come to the UK to study usually at a school, college, or university. You must spend at least 15 hours a week in organised classroom study, and show you can pay your course fees, accommodation and support yourself financially without working. In some cases, your spouse or civil partner and children under the age of 18 years can apply as your dependants.

You will need to have Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies from a UK educational institution that holds a valid Tier 4 sponsor licence.

Short-term study visa

This visa is for individuals who are offered a place on a short-term course in the UK, such as an English language or training course. Overseas university students can also use this visa for short periods of research in the UK.

Tier 4 child visa

This is for children aged 4 to 16 who will be studying at a fee-paying school in the UK. They can stay here for six years or the duration of the course, plus a month before it begins and another month after it ends.

If the child is over 16, the maximum period they can stay in the UK is two years.

Parents of children on Tier 4 child visas

You may be able to apply to come to the UK as a Parent of a Tier 4 Child visa.

How can Moore Barlow help?

We will tell you the most suitable type of visa for your specific needs, and whether your family members can apply to join you in the UK.

As with all aspects of the points-based system, the application process can seem complicated, but we will make it clear and easier to understand. We will guide you through all aspects of visas to study in the UK, including applications for initial entry and extensions. We’ll make sure you meet all the criteria, have the right financial documents and the all-important Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies from your sponsoring education provider.

We understand that coming to study in the UK can seem both exciting and a little daunting, with so much to organise. We can make this process go more smoothly, for example by arranging bespoke relocation information packages to help you move; ensuring you can meet the government’s Right to Rent checks needed to live in privately rented accommodation in the UK; and advising you on how you can legally work in the UK once you have finished your studies.

We have offices in London, Southampton, Lymington, Guildford, Woking and Richmond, and offer expert specialist advice and support to clients nationally and internationally. Contact us for more information.

Contact our solicitors

Get in touch with our legal experts for advice.