Making it simpler for EEA and Swiss nationals to live, work and study in the UK

As an EEA or Swiss national, it is relatively easy for you to live in the UK, but getting permission to stay here permanently can be complicated.

  • With uncertainty over Brexit, you may want to make sure you and your family members have Indefinite Leave to Remain.
  • Our expert immigration lawyers will explain your best route to permanent residence status, clarify all the facts and help your application progress smoothly and successfully.

Whether you already live in the UK or are considering moving here, Brexit has created a lot of uncertainty for European Economic Area (EEA) and Swiss nationals and their family members. Despite the UK government’s various announcements, the position still seems unclear.

As an EEA or Swiss national, or a family member you can enter, live and work or study in the UK for three years before you must prove you are:

  • working
  • self-employed
  • seeking employment
  • studying (with comprehensive sickness insurance)
  • self-sufficient (with comprehensive sickness insurance)

After you have lived in the UK for five years you may be able to live here permanently, depending on what you have been doing during those five years.

Since the Brexit referendum, many EEA nationals and their family members have decided to secure their right to remain living in the UK. The best way to do this is with a Residence Card, Permanent Residence card or by becoming a British citizen.

The various processes involved can seem complex and confusing, particularly if you are applying for British citizenship. It’s crucial you have the correct evidence to prove you are entitled to live, and as this is a step that will affect your whole future, it’s important you have up to date legal advice.

We will explain simply and clearly what the UK immigration laws require and how you can prove your right to live, work and invest your future in the UK. We’ll also help you distinguish between the facts and the rumours about what Brexit will mean for you, so you can feel more confident about your position.

Our expert team work across our offices in Southampton, Lymington, Woking, London, Guildford and Richmond, and we offer specialist support to clients nationally and internationally.

Contact our solicitors

Get in touch with our legal experts for advice.