Failure to adequately guard moving parts of machinery. An experienced and well-trained employee suffered a serious injury to a finger whilst feeding in plastic sheeting onto a pin-chain mechanism. Contrary to the company’s standard operating procedure, the employee hand-fed the plastic onto the mechanism causing his glove to be caught and his finger “pinned” by the machinery leading to a partial surgical amputation. We worked closely with the health and safety manager of the company in order to provide detailed examples to the Court of their comprehensive training and excellent health and safety record, and consequently the fine imposed by the Court was significantly reduced from the anticipated level.
Copyright Moore Barlow LLP (Moore Blatch and Barlow Robbins merged May 2020)