- Location: Southampton or Guildford
- Deadline: 21/01/2022
About the role
Who we are?
Moore Barlow is an industry celebrated law firm committed to delivering the highest standard of legal advice for our clients. We are a progressive, people-orientated law firm that look at the bigger picture and understand the immediate need is part of a complex whole. With over 450 dedicated professionals, including 70 partners and 272 lawyers, we strive to bring original solutions to our clients’ most complex challenges, transforming unique circumstances into opportunity.
We are proud of our rich and evolving history. For over 200 years we have built up an incredible knowledge base with the focus to ‘Make life better’ for our people, our clients, and our communities. We work to continuously nurture our relationships, provide a listening ear, and develop a supportive and transparent network to deliver value for our clients in times of uncertainty and unprecedented change.
A true partner, we focus on delivering exceptional services for three specific groups of people: Individuals and Families, Entrepreneurial Businesses & Organisations, and Personal Injury and Clinical Negligence. We offer a carefully considered and personalised approach to each client, working together to navigate through the unknown and find the best way through to a better future.
We’ve also won awards! Named as one of the top 200 law firms in the UK in The Times Best Law Firms 2021 list, we have also been widely recognised in Legal 500 UK 2022, the UKs leading guide to law firms, as 11 of our practise areas have been ranked Top Tier.
Your Role at Moore Barlow
This is a fantastic new role reporting to the Head of Finance working in a high performing professional finance team. This is a fantastic opportunity to join a busy team where you will be involved in a fast-paced environment and be responsible for management of all partner related accounting issues, and have responsibility for firm and partner tax issues, and provide tax, VAT, PAYE and related advice.
You will have an opportunity to work across all levels of the business with significant partner contact. The role can be based in either Guildford or Southampton and is offered with a high degree of flexibility to support a healthy work life balance. As well as ensuring that all tax and partner accounting operations run smoothly you will be responsible for driving tax efficiencies across the firm more generally.
As Tax and Partner Accounting Accountant / Manager you will be responsible for the partner accounting and tax related issues. You will provide advice to other areas of the business including HR for employment benefits and contract related tax issues, and Marketing to help minimise tax add backs and non-deductible expenditure.
Key tasks will include:
· Responsible for all partnership tax compliance. This will include tax reserve calculations, producing analyses of tax sensitive accounts for the tax computation, the adjusted taxable profit calculating itself, capital allowances calculations, and administering tax payments.
· Preparing individual tax returns on a tight timescale. This will include managing the entire cycle from requesting information, preparing property income accounts, calculating pension annual allowances and pension annual savings tax charge and submitting returns once approved by the taxpayer.
· Answer ad-hoc VAT queries, e.g., the recoverability of input tax, and provide support to the Financial Accountant with the preparation of VAT returns.
· Be responsible for preparing any tax treaty forms for overseas clients, e.g., W8 forms for USA, PSWT reclaim forms for Ireland etc.
· Helping the payroll function on occasion and when required with calculation of benefits in kind, P11d computations, the PAYE settlement agreement, and reconciliation of RTI requirements.
· Negotiate and agree HMRC concessions for relevant areas of tax.
· Be responsible for all aspects of corporation tax compliance for trading entities from calculating tax provisions for the preparation of the financial statements to filing completed computations and returns.
· Supporting the corporation tax compliance cycle for more complex trading entities including calculating corporation tax and deferred tax provisions, calculating payments on account and preparing computations and returns for review.
· Keep the firm appraised of strategic tax issues and planning requirements, e.g., change of basis period proposal.
· Ensure that the firm is operating as tax efficiently as possible.
· Produce and maintain all relevant tax policy and related accounting policy documentation.
· Responsible for the production of partners’ annual account statements including capital accounts, current account, tax reserves, and partner capital loan balances.
· Day to day management of partner drawings and distribution payments, to include periodic dividend payment calculations, and capital account movements, including maintaining a timetable of payments due and posting all entries.
· Manage communication with partners on distributions and be first point of contact to resolve queries on transactions.
· Ad hoc reviews of partner accounts as required.
· Oversee the preparation and post journals to reflect tax payments and movements in provisions.
· Maintain the integrity of the nominal ledger data by reconciling individual partner accounts to the accounting system and nominal ledger and aggregate accounts to the Balance Sheet.
· Maintain the partner units / capital / info model spreadsheet.
· Responsibility for all partner related elements of the firm’s budget and business planning processes.
· Maintain all relevant partner accounting related policy documentation.
· Prepare complex profit share models and conduct sensitivity analysis.
· Ensure that all aspects of partner tax and accounting requirements defined by the firm’s LLP agreement are complied with.
· Maintain external relationships with the firm’s tax advisors and build a strong relationship with HMRC.
· Responsible for managing all partner related benefits including partner motor arrangements, home office allowances, private medical charge allocations and all other items.
· Coordination of partner capital accounts and associated capital loan arrangements, and associated logistics, accounting and reporting.
· Support the integrity of partner and tax related financial information within the firm's practice management system.
· Assist in the development and improvement of financial processes and controls.
· Responsible for the production and maintenance of all partner accounting related communications including regular updates by way of partner statements.
· Identify and promote improvements within scope of responsibility.
· Management of workload and cover during absence.
· Liaising with external advisors including auditors etc.
· Principle point of contact with the firm’s tax advisors.
· Responsible for managing all partner capital loan arrangements with external funders.
· Duties may be varied from time to time and will be agreed with you.
What we look for:We are looking for the right candidate with a good mix of relevant skills and experience. You will be a qualified accountant and have gained experience from a similar role within a professional services business or alternatively be looking for a move from practice where you will have held a tax related role at manager level, with responsibility for managing a portfolio of clients and providing broad tax-based advice across a number of areas. Our culture is open, diverse, and inclusive; it’s an environment of belonging, where people can thrive and be the best version of themselves. We strive to nurture our people and offer enjoyable, fulfilling, and sustainable careers. This includes providing the best training, great pay and rewards, and more control over work life balance. We are offering flexible working in terms of home and office, but we’d need you to be able to comfortably travel to Southampton or Guildford to be with the team on certain occasions. Our benefits include 28 days holiday, Pension, Private Medical Insurance, Income Protection and Life assurance to name a few. Experience · Experience in tax compliance for individuals, partnerships and companies. · An interest in and good knowledge across UK business tax, VAT, employment tax and personal tax. · Familiarity with standard personal and corporation tax packages. · The ability to clearly communicate in writing. · Good knowledge of Excel and Word. · Working knowledge of Financial Reporting Standards. · Strong double entry bookkeeping skills. Special Factors · The job holder's work is both confidential and sensitive. · The job holder will need to work closely with partners, lawyers and other members of staff across the business.
How to apply
Interested in a career at Moore Barlow? Please send your CV and cover letter to the Human Resources team at email@example.com
We welcome and encourage a diverse workforce and ask that all prospective candidates complete our diversity questionnaire. Please submit this along with their CV and cover letter.
It is our policy to provide equal opportunities for all employees and prospective employees in relation to recruitment, training and promotion. Decisions in these areas will be made by reference to the requirements of the job and shall not be influenced by any consideration of ethnic origin, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation or disability.