More and more people are giving up work completely or taking extended time-off to care for an elderly relative, something that isn’t always easy emotionally or financially.

Many people face the dilemma of not wanting a stranger to look after their relative, yet for financial reasons are unable to care for that family member themselves. As such, many people want to know whether they can be paid for caring for a family member, whether that be your parents, wife, husband or another relative.

Can I be paid to care for a family member?

Whilst someone is mentally capable, it is of course up to them what they do with their money and whether they want to pay a relative to provide their care. However, that cost must be affordable, sustainable and reasonable in relation to the amount of care they receive.

Additionally, it’s important that both carer and the person being cared for enter into an arrangement with something in writing that protects them both. Setting out what the carer will do and when will ensure that what is expected is clear, avoiding any confusion.

How much should I get paid when taking care of a family member?

The rate of pay should be set out too and the carer needs to ensure that they are not being overpaid for the care they provide. Some people mistakenly believe that if they have given up work to provide care, they should be paid the same as their previous salary. This is not true. The rates paid to carers are much lower than other professions and any proposed carer should investigate what the local rates are.

You should also be aware that professional carers will be qualified and usually work for an agency that is fully compliant and adheres to all relevant regulation and training. As a family carer will not have that, that person would only be entitled to be paid at the lower of the local rates. It should also be remembered that a family carer is paid 20% less than a professional one under an HM Revenue and Customs exemption because there is no need to declare the wages a family carer receives to HMRC.

What if my family member doesn’t have mental capacity?

If you have a relative that does not have mental capacity, then the position is more complicated. Many attorneys and deputies have assumed that they are able to pay either themselves or another family member for care. This is possible, but only after a Court of Protection order has been obtained to make sure that the conflict of interest between relative and the carer is managed. For such an application, a care needs assessment must be undertaken, showing what care is needed and the remuneration the carer would be entitled to. The application and subsequent order will normally take into account the need to consider an annual pay rise as well as what should happen if the relative’s care needs increase.

All deputies are in any event supervised by the Office of the Public Guardian (OPG). However, anyone can report an attorney or deputy to the OPG if they exceed their powers. It is therefore best to ensure that as attorney or deputy you follow the OPG guidance.

Alexandra Milton

Alexandra Milton

Partner | Private wealth

01483 748560

Getting financial support – Carer’s Allowance

As a carer of a family member, you could be eligible for financial support from the government called Carer’s Allowance. However, obtaining this allowance is dependent on various factors, therefore we recommend you seek legal advice. Contact Moore Barlow’s court of protection team today if you require assistance in this area.

What is Carer’s Allowance?

Carer’s Allowance is a government-provided financial benefit aimed at supporting individuals who care for people with disabilities or serious illnesses. It helps caregivers with the extra expenses they incur while providing care.

How much is Carer’s Allowance?

The current rate for Carer’s Allowance in the UK is £67.60 per week. Keep in mind that benefit rates may vary, and it’s important to consult the appropriate government source for the latest information.

What’s is the eligibility for Carer’s Allowance?

To qualify for Carer’s Allowance, you typically need to be 16 years or older, provide at least 35 hours of weekly care to someone receiving certain disability benefits, have earnings below a specified threshold, and be a resident in the UK.

How do you claim for Carer’s Allowance?

Claiming Carer’s Allowance can be done through the official government website or by requesting a paper application form. You’ll need to provide personal information, details about the person you care for, information on any other benefits you receive, and supporting evidence. Completing the application accurately and thoroughly is crucial for a successful claim.

What’s the difference between Attendance Allowance and Carer’s Allowance?

If someone is in need of care, they are entitled to Attendance Allowance. There are several misconceptions regarding this benefit, outlined below.

  • It is not, as often believed, means-tested. This allowance is based on need, and not how much money you have.
  • You don’t have to be receiving care already to be eligible, you just need to have the need for care.
  • Attendance Allowance does not belong to the person giving the care but to the person in need of care. However, if eligible, carers can claim for Carers Allowance, which would belong to them.

How Moore Barlow can help

Caring for a loved one can be a challenging and demanding role, both emotionally and financially. However, there is support available to ease the pressure and ensure you receive the assistance you deserve. Moore Barlow is here to help.

With our vast expertise, the dedicated team at Moore Barlow understands the intricacies of Carer’s Allowance and other related benefits. We can provide valuable guidance on eligibility criteria, assist with the application process, and ensure you receive the maximum support available to you.

Beyond Carer’s Allowance we offer a comprehensive range of legal services tailored to the needs of caregivers. Whether you require advice on financial planning, succession planning or power of attorney, our experienced solicitors are ready to provide personalized assistance.

We can help you navigate the complex landscape of caregiving with confidence. Contact our expert team today.

Can we help?

We have extensive experience helping families through the complexities of supporting a loved one that requires care.

Contact us