- Location: Southampton
- Fixed Term Contract
About the role
We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Legal Secretary to join our Corporate and Commercial team based in Southampton on a 12 month fixed-term contract. You will be working within a supportive environment with a team of excellent Lawyers and will experience a wide ranging and diverse workload.
Your role will be to provide comprehensive legal secretarial and administrative support to assigned solicitors and lawyers within the team. We are committed to providing excellent service to our clients and we are looking for someone who shares this passion and enthusiasm.
Key tasks will include:
- Manage diaries, ensuring they are up to date and remind Fee Earners of meetings, etc., on a daily basis.
- Arrange meetings, book conference rooms, refreshments, check rooms prior to meetings, etc., and liaise with other attendees, both internal and external.
- Organise travel arrangements, book and confirm reservations and deal with related details.
- Arrange, or, where not appropriate, conduct photocopying, printing, organising couriers, sending out letters, faxes, etc.
- Arrange for files to be opened and closed; ensure that general filing requirements and record keeping requirements are met.
- Use effective systems to ensure that both short and long term tasks are completed within required timescales.
- Support Fee Earners in marketing activities, including involvement in preparation of tenders and presentations.
- Typing and document production.
- Produce and mail out client invoices.
- Manage expense claims for Fee Earners.
- Take internal and external telephone queries, responding as appropriate, and/or ensuring that all messages are passed on in a timely manner.
- Monitor post and/or e-mails and dealing with as appropriate and ensure that all client related correspondence is passed on to an appropriate Fee Earner, if the relevant person is out of the office.
- Liaise with business support departments on behalf of the Fee Earners as required.
- Liaise with the office’s Team Leader over any planned absences, arranging cover as necessary and communicating this to the relevant Fee Earners well in advance.
Client Relationship Management
- Become an active part in the care of clients and be wholly familiar with contacts/clients.
- Enter, maintain and update client details and relevant information on the firm’s contacts system.
- Deal with basic client queries and general administration.
- Arrange client meetings.
- Type correspondence and e-mails.
- Produce and maintain Excel spreadsheets as required.
- Double check correspondence, attachments, documents, reports, presentations, faxes, etc., before they are passed on to the relevant Fee Earner and undertake basic/minor amendments where appropriate.
- Assist Fee Earners in the billing and credit control process by liaising with the Fee Earner and accounts and to produce standard financial/time reports and invoices through the system.
- Request cheques, bank transfers and paying in money received, as appropriate.
What we look for
A Legal Secretary has responsibility to ensure that their skill set is up to date, and they are familiar with the firm’s departments, key personnel, clients, internal systems and procedures. This will ensure that the Legal Secretary is able to carry out his or her role effectively and, where appropriate, should discuss any training requirements with the Team Leader for their office.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Word (including track change), Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, research tools and other system implemented by the firm such as case management.
- Accurate typing speed of at least 60 words per minute.
- Knowledge of legal terminology, documentation, legal processes, etc.
- Excellent telephone manner and competent knowledge of telephone system.
- Excellent communication, organisational and team skills.
- Excellent attention to detail
- Flexible and dependable, able to take the initiative.
- Able to remain calm under pressure and work to tight deadlines.
- Conscientious, approachable and enthusiastic.
- Able to quickly build confidence, respect and trust with others
- Have a positive approach to daily tasks and have a solutions focussed working method
What we look for:As above.
How to apply
Interested in a career at Moore Barlow? Please send your CV and cover letter to the Human Resources team at firstname.lastname@example.org
It is our policy to provide equal opportunities for all employees and prospective employees in relation to recruitment, training and promotion. Decisions in these areas will be made by reference to the requirements of the job and shall not be influenced by any consideration of ethnic origin, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation or disability.